Tuesday 9 March 2010

Audio books on loan

Having just joined the library again after (ahem) a couple of decades of absence, I was thrilled to hear about the new audio book service that has just been introduced.

Library members can download audio books from the library website, which they can 'borrow' for two weeks. When the time is up, you don't even have to remember to return them, the files automatically delete themselves! Just make sure that you have finished listening, although I guess you can always 'borrow' it again if you haven't. All you need is a library membership and a broadband connection - and something to listen to it on of course.

I was surprised and impressed by Deptford's rather modest bricks-and-mortar library at Wavelengths - I enjoy browsing the shelves and picking up things I might not otherwise come across, and it's great to be able to try them out without buying. I'll admit I have a bit of a weakness for cookbooks and in the past I have been seduced by good-looking publications that end up being useless or impractical.

Of course it's quite different these days from when I was last a member - you can borrow CDs and DVDs these days as well as books, and the free internet on offer is always popular. The library is open late a couple of nights, and also has a drop box in the foyer where you can return your books on the way to the gym or swimming pool!

No comments: