The latest issue of The Gate Post - the community newsletter produced by the New Cross Gate Trust - includes a pull-out section 'Deptford Xtra' in the middle with some interesting information about Deptford. Strange to receive this kind of information via the newsletter from another part of the borough, but hey ho....
1. Apparently the building work on the station is due to start in May this year and complete in 'summer' 2011 (the sound of bets being hedged there). The cost of £6.8 million is coming from Lewisham Council, Network Rail, and the Thames Gateway.
Here's a new image I hadn't seen before, and which I find rather confusing if the truth be told.
My last note about this suggested that the contract was going to be awarded at the mayor and cabinet contracts committee on 3 March but I can't find any announcement of this. Either they are still negotiating details, or they have delayed it further, shock horror.
2. In addition to the revamp of Margaret McMillan Park, improvement work to Fordham Park has started (hmm, I will have to nip over there and see) and the underpass which links the two will be improved, as well as pavement, signage and lighting improvements to Clifton Rise, Amersham Vale, Pagnell Street and Watson Street. All part of stage 1 of Lewisham Links.
3. As well as the well-overdue landscaping of Giffin Square which forms part of the new Tidemill School plans, the southern end of the High Street is in line for improvements - plans due to be revealed in the summer. Let's wave goodbye to the shoddy block paving and wonky bollards once and for all! I'm slightly suspicious that this improvement work isn't being extended along Douglas Way, it suggests to me that the council has other plans for this part of the town centre. Otherwise it would make total sense to do it all together.
Work on the High Street is expected to start in 2011.
4. There's a tiny bit about landscaping of public spaces around the Pepys estate with a picture of the underwhelming and potentially maintenance-heavy 'sculpture' that they intend to erect.
5. Finally an article about the various major planning applications in the area - Convoys and the Wharves I've written about, Marine Wharf is still to come once I've properly investigated and dissected.
If you don't get it through your door, you can usually download this publication from the New Cross Gate website but it's not up there just yet.